Sand timers provide a visual representation of a period of time and children respond incredibly well in a variety of contexts..
Activities in school and at home –
- Use it to time participation in games.
- To help children calm down by taking ‘time out’ when upset.
- To develop the awareness of the length of thirty seconds.
- To motivate as the student engages in ‘beat the clock’ activities.
- Classroom management- setting a target time for pupils to enter class and settled down.
- Use to time an oral presentation.
- Use in timed tests.
- Use in teaching analogue clock- how minutes work